You have received a job offer from a company that wants you to join their team! This means that you have displayed the attributes and intangible qualities that they are looking for in an employee. Pat yourself on the back, because that takes a lot of initiative and hard work! Just because you receive a job offer, however, does not mean that you are immediately required to accept that offer. It's crucial to think your decision over thoroughly as any career changes that you make ultimately impact your resume and your candidacy for potential future roles. Here are some factors to consider before accepting a job offer:
Room for growth:
- Is the offered compensation, hourly or salary, what you were expecting? Is it higher or lower than expected?
- If lower than expected, are you willing to take a pay cut in exchange for a better work environment or room for career growth?
- Will you be able to live and function with the offered compensation? Will your pay cover all of your expenses?
- Does the offer come with other benefits as well? Are areas such as medical, dental, and 401(k) covered?
- Will the commute to and from work be manageable on a day-to-day basis? Will transportation be an extra expense?
- Do the hours work for you? Will you have the ability to maintain a good work-life balance in this position?
- Can you see yourself in this workplace every day? Does the atmosphere fulfill your needs in order to thrive in a workplace?
- Will your work day end when you're off the clock and leave for the day, or does some work go home with you?
Room for growth:
- Do you long-term career goals line up with this position? Do you see yourself on an upward career path with this company?
- Will you face new challenges and learn new skills in this position that could benefit you in future positions should you choose to switch jobs?
- If your career is not progressing further once you accept this position, will you be okay with leaving and joining another company in order to grow?
- Will you be focusing on one specific area in this position or will you be working on a variety of different projects?
- Do you have a gut feeling as to whether or not this position is "the one"? Do you feel very strongly one way or the other?
- If you have any doubts or second thoughts at all, have you fully weighed out the pros and cons of accepting this position?
- Are you firm in what you are looking for in a workplace? Do you feel as though this position will give you what you've been looking for?
- Have you carefully thought out this potential career move? Are you positive that you're prepared for a switch?