After a long interview process, you have finally received an offer from a company that wants you to join their team. All your hard work and initiative have finally paid off! Before you officially accept an offer, think about the decision you are making since it will affect your resume and career path down the line. Here are some factors to consider before accepting any job offers:
- Is the offered compensation, hourly or salary, what you were expecting? Is it higher or lower than anticipated?
- If lower than expected, are you willing to take a pay cut in exchange for a better work environment or room for career growth?
- Will you be able to live with the offered compensation? Will your pay cover all your expenses?
- Does the offer come with other benefits as well? Are medical, dental, and 401(k) covered?
- Will the commute to work be manageable on a day-to-day basis? Will transportation be an extra expense?
- Do the hours work for you? Will you be able to maintain a good work-life balance in this position?
- Can you see yourself in this workplace every day? Does the atmosphere fulfill your needs in order to thrive?
- Will your work day end when you're off the clock and leave for the day, or does some work go home with you?
- Do your long- term career goals line up with this position? Do you see yourself on an upward career path with this company?
- Will you face new challenges and learn new skills that could benefit you in future positions should you choose to accept the role?
- If your career is not progressing further once you accept this position, will you be okay with leaving and joining another company to focus on your growth?
- Will you be focusing on one specific area in this position or will you be working on a variety of different projects?
- Do you have a feeling that this position is "the one"? Do you feel very strongly one way or the other?
- Have you fully weighed the pros and cons of accepting this position?
- Are you firm in what you are looking for in a workplace? Do you feel as though this position will give you what you have been looking for?
- Have you carefully thought out this potential career move? Are you positive that you are prepared for a job change?
A career change is always exciting and can allow for more growth within a company as well as provide new work experiences down the road. It is important to find the right fit for both you and your potential employer. Be sure to think the offer through before choosing to accept or decline it. If you do accept this new opportunity, congratulations!