Writing a thank you note after an interview is an absolute must! It does not matter what type of position you are seeking, a thank you note is your opportunity to express interest in the role and set yourself apart from the other applicants. To ensure you are writing a great thank you note follow these tips:
- On the interview, get a business card from each person you meet, if possible.
- Send a draft of the letter to your Fanning recruiterbefore sending the letter to the company.
- If you prefer a handwritten note, e-mail it as well as sending the handwritten card in the mail (after sending it to your recruiter).
- Do not say... “I just wanted to……” Begin with ‘Thank you……..
- Describe why you are a good fit for the position.
- Express your interest in the company; why you would be a good fit for the company.
- Tie in information from the discussion in your interview; something you shared with the interviewer.
- This is an opportunity to add something important that you may have forgotten to mention in the interview (don’t say you forgot to mention….)
- Convey sense of excitement and interest.
- Show interest in taking the process to the next step.